I've got lots to catch up on here, and I am only letting myself write right now because I can't sleep, so I will have to write more about the following things later: Our 9th Anniversary, Mothers Day, Mamma Mia, and my Amber Dahle week. Oh, yes and the title trip to Utah, from which we just returned. It was a tiring kind of lovely fun. But, that will have to wait. For now, lets talk about me. I am venting here, so beware....
Yes, me (number one, oh my-me-mine..) I think I am having a crisis. Or it could just be hormones. Hard to tell sometimes. They are so closely interrelated. For me, the world falls apart completely about 1 day a month, and the next day I usually realize why (ladies, I think you'll understand this one.) Anyway, if the dang PMDD doesn't get me, then something else will. How about just life in general? Honestly, I really don't feel I have much of anything to complain about. When I look at my life objectively, I wonder why I am emotionally exhausted. (Nicole, I'm not complaining- see I'm trying to remain my good non-complaining self.) However, that doesn't mean that lately I haven't felt overburdened. I'm happily overburdened by helping family and friends. I'm happily overburdened by being a good listener to my peeps who need me. And, I'm happily overburdened with my children. Only, this week I can't stop crying. I can't get anything done. I'm starting to go to that dark place where ice cream answers my needs for fulfillment and excercise seems like a waste because I imagine that it won't do anything for me anyway. In my self-aware world, I know this is bad. Why am I at this point?
Firstly, my house is a mess. But, not the kind of mess you can clean up. The kind of mess that lurks in closets and piles in corners and that builds up over a year of pregnancy and little babies and requires a full day of sorting room by room to get through. This, I cannot do. If you've ever come over to visit me and watched me continue to clean while I visit, perhaps you will wonder why I do this. Simply put: I like my house to "shine like the top of the Chrysler building." I do. Messiness creates dysfunction for me. So basically, I am coming to the end of my rope after a year of creating piles that I now have no time to sort. Wish I was the relaxed type sometimes, but I realized a long time ago that it ain't gonna happen.
Secondly, I have two babies. TWO! BABIES!!! They refuse to sleep at the same time during the day. Gratefully, they both love to sleep at night, so if I could just get myself to sleep at a reasonable hour, I might not be a walking zombie from 7-10 am every morning. Needless to say, sometimes the sheer willpower that it takes to dress, feed, pack a diaperbag, put in carseats, load up the car, drive a mile to the store, unload the 45lb. stroller, unload the kiddos, mix a bottle while walking the aisle at Target, and successfully negotiate any store wears me out before I even can motivate myself to get out the door. However, the alternative I have been living of not really going anywhere I don't have to go has put me in a foul mood. I like people, you know? We already have one cat lady in the family (hee hee), I have to socialize to stay alive and I know I'm not doing enough.
Thirdly, Evelyn is wearing my flat screen tv on her head: I'll explain. You know how my year has gone: early babies, plumbing problems, a flooded house, out for new floors, random extra expenses just keep popping up. While each has been an inconvenience, we have been greatly blessed that none have been more than we could handle or afford. But, somewhere in my brain lurks the idea that I'd like to do more to pretty up and organize my house (this is in conjunction with all of the aforementioned cleaning I intend to do as well). This takes money I do not have the luxury of spending right now. Enter Evelyn's head. It is flat. Okay, not entirely flat, more like lopsidedly and slightly bulgy flat. Darn cute, but flat. So, despite my best efforts at trying to keep her from sleeping on her back, I have had to eat a giant slice of humble pie and go get my kid a head shaping helmet. I'll spare you the details on cost, because Stephanie Gibson would freak out :), but needless to say, my dream of using some extra money for a new computer or a flat screen tv has now been funneled into a very tiny orthopedic helmet. Sometimes, it's the little petty dreams dying that throw you off course, you know? For some reason, it is really bothering me. Funny how the little things throw a kink in the works. Anyway, I'm just venting a little. I'm sure I'll be fine....after I eat my ice cream!
9 comments:
You are an awesome person and really, an amazing woman! I think that we have all felt the way you do now. I love how you are able to express it. I am just so impressed by you and your endeavor to be the best you can be. I think that it is the trying that makes everything worth it. And, if you have the time and opportunity to exercise, DO IT! You will feel so much better about everything and realize how truly amazing you are...
Hey friend! First of all....I can't believe how much alike we are. And second - you are one of my favorite people on this planet... You have a gift for loving people and making them beam from all the wonderful things you say to them. You are dang funny. You are dang beautiful. AND you are dang smart.
So you need some dang icecream. I say eat up! And your so skinny these days (looking way hot in my opinion) that you need no exersice. But if you think that spinning class will help release the frustration...take it baby! But the best part is pumping up the music. So whatever you do...make sure you throw on Bob Seger or something and pick those babies up and dance dance dance around the house! Use your best air guitar. I'm NOT lying here. It TOTALLY helps! hhehehe.
I love you MOSEY SMITH. My beatiful, wonderfully talented friend. Thank you for being such a gift in my life and helping me through my own crisises! Your fabulous darling. Absolutely Fabulous. Check your email box...as you must own that song. It's self affirming. AND you can dance to it! Great little number by the Pet Shop Boys!!
Muah Muah!!! I'll send over Blue Man Group pics too. Glad U-tar was fun. Oh and GO to sleep at night you crazy son of a gun! I'm not even there to keep you awake! Go sneak into bed with Jess and give him a big ol' smooch when you can't sleep. That's what I do. Well, with Craig - but I have crawled in bed with Jess as well. hehehehe.
Love you!
-A.
Thanks for the honorary mention!! I think I would be more apt to freak out if you told us what you would have spent on the flat screen tv! Helmets for babies I can handle!
As a side note, your post about helping others a while back really hit me. I pulled over the other day and gave a ride to a lady that was walking with a baby in a front carrier and a toddler holding each hand. My heart was breaking for her. She really looked like she was struggling. She cautiously took the offer of a ride. She commented that it wouldn't be so bad if she had some kind of stroller. When I dropped her off I told her that I would be right back. I went home and dug out the double stroller that I had used exactly 2 times and planned on selling in my garage sale and took it to her. The look on her face was priceless. Thank you, Melissa, for the encouragement!
Steph....you seriously just made me cry with your comment. Am I starting to get hormonal? I'm feeling a wee bit touched today.
so sad i couldn't see you while you were in utah..next time for sure though!
you're fantabulous! i totally relate, well, not to the fantabulous part but to the crazy thing called life that constantly goes by faster than i can handle!
and as for ice cream..it cures all.
and what's this about amber crawling into bed with Jess..he,he? miss amberd.
I just love reading your stuff, you express your thoughts so well. You are a great person, I sure wish we lived a little bit closer so we could see each other more, which is what I thought when you were in MI, and now you are closer, but we don't get to see each other that much more. Hang in there, you are a great person and Mom. Love you, your favorite cousin
I loved reading this post. I love it when people post REAL life on their blogs. It helps us all feel normal. I know what you mean about having a day (+) out of each month when things are so out of whack. Hang in there. You have lots of people who love you!
thanks you guys--steph, you made me cry too! what nice things you say to me amberd! i appreciate all of you, love, me
thank you for posting that. you are really amazing. life is so hard. go for the ice cream and then work out hard tomorrow. it will all work-out! no pun intended! :) Drew used to not sleep during the day. it was soooo hard. I cant' imagine TWO babies not sleeping in the day. Drew did grow out of it, so I hope for the same with you. You are amazing, Melissa, and thank you for your honesty and sharing with us.
Post a Comment