
Matthew went to the dentist yesterday.
He loves the dentist.
In fact, when he asked me before school, "Where am I going today?" and I answered,"the dentist," he said, "Woo-hoo! I love the dentist."
Yes, he said, "woo hoo."
He went. He gagged during the x-rays. He was happy. He got a balloon.
They tie the the balloon to his wrist because its helium-filled, as I'm sure you well know. He untied it, as six-year-olds do.
He got out of the car and it floated away. He was suprised by this unfortunate turn of events, and began to cry. It was very sad and heartwrenching.
I was packing our van for a dinner at Grandma's and heard the crying. I asked Jes what was wrong and stooped down to comfort Matthew and calm him down. This is my favorite part:
While fighting back tears, he says, in the way only a small person can, "Mom, I think I know what I need. We need a pidgeon, and it can fly up and it can get the balloon and bring it back down." He reiterated his idea a couple of times, insisting that if only we just had a pidgeon, we could get that darn balloon back! I told him, "Sorry, honey, I don't think pidgeons can do that, can I just give you a hug instead."
Well, c'mon! Could your heart just melt? Really? A pidgeon to rescue the balloon. A little, teary blondy person, so innocently solving his problem with the aid of a heroic pidgeon who appears deus ex machina. Awesome.
1 comment:
Love that story. Doesn't it make you just want to make it happen for him if you could?
Post a Comment