Sunday, April 5, 2009

nesting nesting nesting



Anyone else have crazy nesting tendencies at the end of their pregnancy?
I am in full nesting mode right now. So far, this is what we have had to do to get ready for the baby:

Turn office into baby room
Relocate desk to master bedroom
Move TV
Sort through many many books and college papers (!)
Set up crib (thanks Nate & Lauren)and bedding (thanks trish!)
organize baby clothes into dresser

Okay, you would think that all of this stuff would be easy right? Some of it yes, some, No. Basically, we have too much stuff. In a nutshell: I love books. Jes loves books. (The only difference is that mine are actually fun to read, and Jes's are mostly about real-estate and investing. Snooze.) Between books, papers, office paraphenalia, scrapbook supplies, and an assortment of many random picture frames (?), we ended up with a pile of stuff in the hallway that had to be sorted, and re-sorted and given away, and thrown out and shredded. It almost made me want to stop shopping and stop reading. I mean, where did all this stuff come from? And why do I still have folders of paperwork from college? Oh dear. I thought I was pretty good at not hoarding things. I'm not particularly attached to "things"...well, except my sticker collection from 2nd grade which I still have...but that's the exception to the rule. Stuff stuff stuff. Too much stuff.

But, remember, this has to be done. The baby must have a room in which to sleep. Accomodations must be made. Yet, its like, why stop there?

Whilst all of this moving and shuffling things about is going on, my brain has gone into this other mode. Lets call it, "Redecorate the House" mode. This consists of moving furniture around and wanting everything ship shape for the new arrival. In my wildest fantasies, it would also include buying a new kitchen table, recovering my couch, new furniture for the playroom, a full makeover for the downstairs bathroom. You can see where this is getting a little out of control. Not like any of this is going to happen. In reality, I know this, yet, I find myself a little disappointed that Jes won't buy me $5,000 worth of new bedroom furniture just to make me feel better and more organized and so that my room is pretty when I come home from the hospital. Bah! What a miser!

I've resigned myself to reality (although I secretly do hold out for a new desk in our room), but my nesting list just continues. This weekend, we painted the new french doors in our room. Jes cleaned the carpets in the kids rooms upstairs. Our room and the hallway are next. Then, this week, I'm cleaning out Matthew's closet, shockingly, I have already organized my own closet, which could be a blog by itself, and then I'm moving on....bathroom drawers, whatever is lurking under the sinks, winter clothes, holiday frou frou, you are all in my line of fire! Watch out! I'm coming for you next, and some of you won't be staying around! Oh, and then I really should do my visiting teaching for the month, organize groceries and meals for when I'm gone, and return anything in our house belonging to another person (okay, mostly stuff we've borrowed from Grandma.) Hmmm. See what I mean? It just keeps going and going.

But, this is normal right? I mean, last time my babies were sprung upon me 4 weeks early. I was caught off-guard, I didn't even have a hospital bag packed yet...ooh! thats another thing on my list....got to pack a bag...buy contact solution...get a pedicure (can't have ugly feet right?)....

3 comments:

Deanne said...

C'mon over to my house next. I have plenty of nesting projects for you to work on!

Hey, maybe thats the secret to getting all my organizing done...I just need to get pregnant. =)

Alison B said...

yes, i am a nester. Big time. Mark always gives me a hard time. But then, when i'm stuck in bed with my c-section and trying to nurse and trying to sleep, at least I know my house is clean and in order. ya right.

Welch Mom said...

I have a post that was very similar to this about this time last year. I go into crazy nesting mode where I want to redesign and organize it all! I can totally relate.