Monday, February 25, 2008

Klutzy?

Wikipedia says: "A klutz is a person who is clumsy, foolish, inept, or accident-prone. The term is perhaps derived from the Yiddish קלאָץ klots ('wooden beam'), cognate with the German Klotz, meaning a "block" or "lump". The British slang, pillock and the Australian slang, galah are used with similar meaning, particularly in terms of being foolish and inept."

Hmmm.. a little too close to home these days.

So, when I was pregnant, I had the pregnant klutzies. You know, you get disoriented with a big belly and you can't quite do things right. For instance, pretty much every time I ironed clothes or used the oven, I burned myself. I have 3 scars on my right arm just from ironing. For some reason, when I reached for the handle, instead I would just sweep my arm across the blazing hot base of the iron. So, I have some nice discolered scarry skin now. And don't even talk to me about cooking anything that could splash grease or drip hot cheese, because you know it went right on my hands or skin somewhere to leave a mark.

Who would have thought this trend would continue after pregnancy? Maybe it's because I am tired, but I can't seem to turn corners in my house lately without running into them with one of my shoulders. Ouch! And the other day, I chipped a tooth by biting down on my fork, rather than the actual food. Then, I burned a section of my hair to a 2-inch nub the other day whilst blow-drying it on hot. Nice. I now have a funny cowlick in the back of my head! WHAT THE????? Really? Cause I needed to lose my hair? This is getting ridiculous. Please tell me someone else out there has felt like this??!!

4 comments:

Cindi M said...

I have definitely been there, hitting my shoulders and elbows into things, dropping things etc. I never tied it to the time after a baby was born, but I bet it was. My memory fails me. I think all around that I'm just a different person after having kids...no brains, no coordination, white hairs, overweight. Not a pretty picture!! :)

The Mapuche's Mom said...

May I just ask why you iron at all? He he.
-Tawnee

Welch Mom said...

I run into doorways all the time, but it is usually because I can not see without my contacts or glasses. I am also missing the link between my brain and hand when it comes to hot things. I always burn myself! Although the dumbest thing I ever did was iron a skirt while it was on me. Let's just say it did not turn out well. Do not feel alone!

The Fife's said...

I agree with Tawnee, not to much ironing going on at my house!! I am a klutz all the time, but pregnancy really brings it out in me! Gabrielle is quite the little klutz as well, like mother like daughter.