Thursday, January 27, 2011

and this is what i looked like

I ran into another mormon mom at JoAnn's today and I remembered: This is why I have so few friends. Other women make me feel like a loser. She had 3 kids with her-- 4 year old twins and a 2 year old. All 2 years and 3 months apart, apparently. Perfectly coiffed, hairbows in place, outfits clean, and she was like 7ish months pregnant,, dressed cute with hair done and requisite overpriced stroller and just chilling while her kids stood next to her in line behind us. I, on the other hand, was looking like the picture above. Hair leftover from yesterday, skinny jeans, plaid shirt, gap vest and keen slip ons. An outfit that I threw on as the girls screamed downstairs after I spent the better part of the morning in my pj's attempting to put the laundry away before I had to start washing it all over again: wrinkly, not a shred of makeup and a slightly runny nose. The bottom of my beat up stroller is filled with goldfish, raisins and old baby wipes. My children, who had just finished rolling around on the floor instead of dancing at dance class were wearing their dancing outfits, complete with asphalt stains and a hole in the knee. They had wild flyaways coming off their buns, and poor Annie, who wouldn't let me get near her with a brush this morning, was screaming her head off in the stroller, "i want to walk! I WANT TO WALK!" They ran in and out of all the empty registers spreading my purchases around for good measure.

I'd like to say that I got in my car, counted my blessings and went on my merry way, but instead, I got in my car, looked around with an air of disapproval at myself, the state of my french-fry strewn car, and the condition of my children and felt like I never quite can get it right. Oh well! What can you do! Maybe I made the nice lady feel good about herself!

5 comments:

Welch Mom said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better. You look way more put together and cuter than I do on any given day during the week. I always wear yoga pants, tennis shoes, no make-up and my hair pulled back in a pony tail. What can I say, I am who I am. Perfection is just to much work, I'll just settle for alright :)

The Fife's said...

Very funny! It is a good thing we don't live where we could run into each other because you would not like me either!! Just kidding, I would love to not get out of my p.j.'s most days.

melissa said...

i actually do like having friends, i just always feel like a schlup when i see other moms with their kids actually behaving in public. and tami...i'm sure i'd still like you. amanda, it is hard to imagine you looking anything other than gorgeous-- yoga pants and all! <3 ya!

Linds Barttels said...

i don't think you look terrible. just remember you are in size 4 skinny jeans and call it a successful day ;) also, my verification word is 'satist'. BAHAH.

Lisa said...

I always think you have it together, and always always look cute, and so do your kids! I am always a mess! I don't know how you do it, you are like my hero mentor. And you always make me feel better when I have (as you stated it) "overwhelming small children syndrome." At least we know we're not the only ones!