Tuesday, July 27, 2010

be careful what you wish for....

You should know before you read this post, that I have been pining for a new camera or video camera to capture my children, that I'd like to get a WII and watch Netflix and turn off the cable, and that Jes wants a blueray player and was talking openly about the purchase of a new laptop just last week, and that I really wanted a DVD system in our car, but we couldn't afford it and pay off the car fast enough, so we didn't get it. Now, onto the latest happenings in our house....

There is a curse on our house. Poltergeist? you ask. No. Just a technology curse.

On all the electronic equipment.

2 DVD's got stuck in the DVD player, one shuffled its way out. The other has remained in a mystery spot. Now the DVD player, which was 8 years old anyway is kaput. I blame the children because its totally their fault.

I went to hand Matthew his portable DVD player (aka- the only way to road trip with someone who can talk about Legos and what they want for Christmas for 3 hours straight) and I dropped it right on the floor. It broke in half, but at least it still plays. It just has to be propped up against a wall or pillow or something. Jes claims we can superglue it. Ha.

I went to close our good laptop on Saturday night, and as I lowered it onto the floor, I heard a little pop! I broke the screen. So, you can see portions of it, but, not really. Fortunately, this one is under a warrantee, so we just have to send it off to Dell. Woot! Saved. But Jes bought a new one anyway today, so maybe not.

Yesterday, Jes dropped my camera on a tile floor. Bye bye camera! Good thing I was pining for a better camera with better video quality.

Whats next ???!!!! My dishwasher?--- NO NO NO!! please no.... Its doing some wierd leaky thing... but please! no no-- enough is enough!

Has this ever happened to you? Everything breaking at once? Mind on overload? I know. It can feel overwhelming, but, now, I am going to tell you something good.

It was Wednesday or Thursday, I was milling about the house. Making plans to paint picture frames, use things I have to finish the twins room, and make it more stylish if you will. In a cutsy way suitable for small baboos. I was thinking about how I needed my garage sale money to fund this venture. I went and stood in my garage, and I looked at a massive pile of baby girl clothes, a crib, and a bunch of baby stuff that I attempted to sell at a garage sale in May. It was not what I'd consider a successful sale, since my pile was still very large. Also, what on earth-- why do my children have so many clothes? Ridiculous.

I began to fret and worry about all the stuff in the garage. IT IS SOOOOO much stuff. Maybe I should just donate it. But what about the money? How come everyone else seems to make money off of garage sales, but not me? I was overwhelmed by a need to establish order and rid myself of this stuff. I'm sure you've felt it before. Its a lot like PMS. There were even tears involved. I'm quite the emotional one these days, but thats what happens when you awaken often in the night, and then mainline Dr. Pepper to take your children swimming in the 110 degree heat. But I digress...

So on Saturday, my brother Kevin and his wife Kellie came to visit, and we had a lovely family soiree. I thought on Saturday, to myself, " I should give Kevin and Kellie all of this baby stuff. They could sell it in Rexburg. Rexburg is baby heaven. Plus everyone is a poor student. So this would probably sell like hotcakes. (then) No, probably not, thats a lot for them. They have other things to do, it would be a bother." So, I only offered them the crib, so they could sell it. They said yes.

Sunday morning, fresh and upbeat from fretting all night about the fact that on top of everything else breaking, I had now broken the computer and had to tell my husband who had just worked 3 night shifts in a row-- which makes him sooo happy and perky-- K & K came back to pick up my crib. After we moved the crib into moms car, my brother Kevin stood in my garage and looked at my pile of stuff. He turned to me and said, "What are you doing with all this stuff?" I told him about the intended garage sales/craigslist ads and my lack of success. He replies, "Why don't we take it all back to Rexburg. Its baby heaven. Kellie knows people who could use this stuff. We could sell it. We could take a small percentage off the top, and send you the rest. We could totally sell this for you. Lets pack it up now." And with a double check from a sister in law who likes to sort and sell, and my mom, who would transport it halfway, all of my stuff was carted away, and all I was left with were a couple of things that I needed to return to other people and some clothes that were supposed to be in the trash. Hooray!

I'm a big believer in tender mercies. This was mine, and it was much needed in light of the money I now have to spend replacing "necessary" electronic devices. My brother answered my prayer and relieved me of a stressor I couldn't find time to fix. He's such an Anderson-- saving me from my problem--- and I love him for it.

I also love that I get a new camera and we get a new laptop. But don't tell Jes!

4 comments:

Steph said...

you should get a clearplay dvd player!!!! they're great!

Steph said...

:)

The Fife's said...

It sure is great how things work out! I was waiting for you to make some sort of annoucement about Kevin, but I guess that will come later. Whatever won't fit in his car have your MOm bring up here this week to store or we could do a sale.

melissa said...

tami- sorry- i should have clarified--they're only selling things now, but i'd love to donate to a new little anderson anytime! so i hope it happens soon! maybe they'll keep some stuff for later...