Wednesday, March 17, 2010

update on the bike

My bike came! wooot!
I opened its big cardboard box partway on the porch. I nearly hugged the FEDEX guy.
I peered in at its beautiful contents and thought, looks like I could put this baby together.
So, I dragged the box into the house.
I opened it up.
The munchkins danced around me with glee.
Mommy box! mommy bike! They snuck screwdrivers and scissors as I frantically tried to unwrap the bike, not get anyone impaled, not let the baby choke on, eat, or suffocate in any of the plastic wrap.
So, I came up with a brilliant solution. Pack and play and popsicles. Baby in the pack and play with a handful of cheerios. Girls with a tiny slow melt popsicle outside. Worked like a charm.

It took me 20 minutes to figure out that I was never going to get the nut on the bike rims to go any further than the 1 milimeter that I had managed to screw it on. It took me another 20 minutes to get the front wheel on, and by then the popsicles and cheerios were gone and the munchkins were dancing on the giant cardboard box and trying to ride the bike seat, the toolbox and opening the wrench box.

Then, I got the handlebars stuck in the handlebar shaft. Nice. I wrenched, I pulled, I grimaced, and, ultimately, I gave up.

I called Bike World and I promptly loaded up all my sticky kids into the van with shirts and diapers on and picked up Matthew at Dallin's house so that he could come along for the ride and we brought my beauty down to the bike shop to be put together by professionals. A happy ending for everyone. Well, except for Matthew who was hysterical over a missing bionicle piece, well, and the baby, who decided she really WAS hungry on the way home, and let us all know it.

But, it's all worth it. My baby will be home on Friday, (which is the only day I can pick it up with Jes' car, because it won't fit in my van that holds 3 britax marathons already.) But, friday, oh friday, my vanilla baby with saffron rims will be home where she belongs! YAY!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

so excited for you--can't wait to hear about the maiden voyage!