Thursday, February 25, 2010

seriously, do not compliment me.

I recieved a very nice and unexpected compliment a month or so ago.
It lifted my spirits.
It validated my feelings about what I was trying to do.
It was much appreciated.

It was a curse.

I feel like I now completely suck at said complimentary issue. I have backtracked. I am struggling with it. I am a loser. (Hey, I'm just repeating what the mean voice in my head is saying here...)

Its almost as if once the "right hand knows what the left-hand doeth," to paraphrase a biblical analogy, it all goes downhill. Like, somehow your brain goes down the checklist and is like, "sweet, we don't have to worry about that thing anymore" and you promptly start to neglect it? Does that make sense?

Do you ever feel like this? Like, yes, its good - great- wonderful to have people notice things about you, but then, once YOU know them too, maybe thats not so good for you? Maybe you're better off not knowing you are fabulous (wink.) Discuss.

2 comments:

Deanne said...

Yes, I can actually relate to this. I plug along doing things I think I should and not thinking it is anything special. But if people compliment me on it, then I realize I'm doing something well and start to let it slide a bit. It's nice to receive the recognition for efforts, but I agree that sometimes it's better not to know what you're doing a good job at!

Linds Barttels said...

did too many people tell nathan he was good looking & that is why he became to unkept? or that kevin was a failure & now he wins national essay contests? ;)