Friday, October 9, 2009

comeuppance

Sometime in 1978, when I was almost 2, and Kevin was incubating, my mother dragged me unceremoniously from the church chapel, wailing and kicking and screaming. In that moment, she wished that someday I would be graced with the same frustrations, tantrums, and difficulties in my own little toddler that I was now giving her. In short, "Someday I'd get my Comeuppance." Well, motherwendy: wish granted.

In 2005, shortly after Matthew discovered the joy of snack-time in the Holt Ward nursery, he presented with this same insane toddler behavior. If he had the misfortune to need a diaperchange at the same time as snack time, all hell would break loose. You could hear his wails from one end of the church to another as he was ripped away from his precious pretzels or goldfish and forced to endure the horrors of a diaper change coupled with an interrupted snack.
One day he left church screaming, screamed all the way home, and then screamed in his crib for 10 minutes before giving up and sacking out. I still have no idea what on earth that was all about.

And now, well now, we are in full blown tantrum mode at our house. Two tantrumming (sp?) toddlers. (Say that 10 times fast!) They hide in the corner and pout. They lay down on the floor and kick. They emit high frequency shrieks that only dolphins could interpret, and which will force me to use a miracle ear to hear anything over a certain decibel very shortly.

I have most definitely gotten my comeuppance. Lets hope I made a better teenager than a toddler!

2 comments:

Welch Mom said...

My mom also told me this when I was bad. She said I hope you have a kid just like you. I thought to myself at the time that would be great!
I definitely would have skipped age3-4 with Cole. I was leaving the school the other day and was talking with a mother about stages and I said I wish they could stay around 1. To which she said "oh, well maybe I am biased but my kids have been awesome at all ages." I could not say the same and I felt like running from her and locking myself in my car as I felt like a bad mom.

Alison B said...

One time Abby was throwing a temper tantrum in church and making a scene, and the lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, "they say that how they act as toddlers is how they will act when they are teenagers." Wow. What a jerk. So, now I pass this rediculous, and mean mean advice to you. I don't beleive it if it makes any difference!!! It can only get better, right?? I swear, it has to, or I may not make it!!!