Sunday, August 31, 2008

We're not pulling any punches here...it's Kindergarten!!

 

 

 

 


Wow! My little guy went to KINDERGARTEN this week! I can hardly believe it. I did not have a meltdown, because he's always so good about going new places, when prepared, but I was feeling a little nostalgic for preschool and when he was even smaller than he is now. He seems so grown up, but then I talk to him on the phone and it's such a little voice talking back to me.

A snapshot of Matthew at age 5: loves legos and building starwars ships with them, or anything to transport superheroes. Can write his name and sounds out words. Loves to read books. We are trying the language course "Muzzy" from the library, and the language he picked to learn was....Chinese. (WHOA!) Loves anything to do with Egypt and pyramids, and much like when he could name the planets and their moons at age 2, can now name Egyptian gods like Anubis and Isis and his "favorite" and this is a direct quote here: Horus. Still loves his mom. Still loves to snuggle and sing songs before bed. Likes to narrate all the movies we watch, so we all know what is going on --wink, wink. Loves to "play" with his sisters, which includes all kinds of forbidden shaking and swinging, along with hugs and tickling. Loves his cousins, loves to go play with his friends--he's a sociable kind of guy. Really loves Dallin's mom Nicole--he considers himself her friend, I think. Still eats all the vegetables I can throw at him, and already likes to exercise like Dad. Is still impetuous, quick to have a tantrum, and often quite dramatic. Still spends a lot of time in time-out for a sassy mouth and bossing his mother around, not to mention making the babies cry. But, overall, is a cute, happy, intelligent little person who loves to learn and is just so much fun to watch grow!

Now, take this all into account, and I will tell you that on Friday, our last day of the first week of Kindergarten, Matthew got into trouble. His back was itchy on account of his father getting him dressed and taking the tags off of something he was told was going back to the store. So, the sizing on it probably made Matthew itchy. He scratches his back, it turns all red, he complains to the teacher. The teacher looks at his back and decides he needs to go to the nurse. Matthew, apparently getting frustrated waiting for the aid to come and take him to the nurse, all while trying to "blow his mad out"-- a very effective calming tool by the way--apparently tells his table that he wants to "punch the teacher in the face." Yes, that's right, PUNCH THE TEACHER IN THE FACE. WHAT THE!!!??? Oh my. So, naturally, some overzealous 5 year old promptly raised his hand and tattled. Because that's what they do. Eventually, Matthew goes to nurse, gets calamine lotion, stops itching, but gets a yellow "warning" note about his behavior. Good Grief Charlie Brown! He's said stuff like this before at home, and I honestly have no idea where it comes from! But, yeah, my kid is now labeled and will probably be kicked out of school for carrying a rock or something next, who knows. So, that was our exciting week at Kindergarten! Bet your kid didn't want to punch the teacher in the face. Makes you feel a lot better doesn't it?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

amberd. said...

Rolling on floor laughing! Oh my Melissa my dear. I can't help it. That was absolutely hysterical. I bet things are better this next week. hehehehhe!

Love you!

The Fife's said...

quite dramatic, bossy, hmmmm just like his mother! Poor Matthew being labeled, I hope he had a better week. Wow, I can't believe that he is already going to kindergarten, time sure does fly.