Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Watch out, I'm going to let you into my little brain and tell you my thoughts....prepare to be, um, riddled with advice you've already heard before!

I've been rather introspective about life recently, owing to some recent unfortunate circumstances and I just feel totally overwhelmed. It's like one second I'm fine, and the next I could bawl my eyes out over the whole thing. So, in the midst of my introspection, I preach little sermons to myself. They generally start out with a familiar phrase, such as: "Well, that's why you should always...blah blah blah" and I give myself a little talk. Maybe this seems wierd to you, but I've done this for years as a way to sort out my thoughts and it really works for me.(And yes, I'm only listening to the nice voices in my head! HA HA!) Consequently, I have a few thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head, and I figured, even if they are 90% gospel truth, 10% gospel according to Melissa, or just random life lessons I've observed, I'd share some of them. Don't worry, they are very short versions of my internal sermonizing and my own wondering about people in general. Names have been changed to protect the innocent!

1. Did you know that if you don't read your scriptures, you don't really learn anything? I can tell you that for certain, as I was sleep deprived well before and after the birth of our babies, and I can also tell you with certainty that you can show up in church week after week and soak up all the information that they can throw at you, and you can think that it is helpful, and feel enlightened, but without that one on one experience and letting the spirit speak to you individually through the scriptures, it just doesn't last. You have to read them to survive spiritually. Otherwise, the world will eat you up in a heartbeat. Just don't get too carried away and think you're overly smart about the scriptures either, that leads to a whole other set of problems. Just read and be humble and try to keep the mingling of men's ideas out of God's words as far as it is possible.

2. If you lie, people don't like it. Not that I'm the liar in question, No, I force people to accept me the way I am, or I guess I would just bug them ( oh well), but when real grown-up adults lie about things it is not funny. Not remotely funny. In fact, as far as I am concerned it is idiocy. Why live a lie? What a waste. Why not accept what you are and where you are and leave the embellishments out. People who really love you love the truths about you, and deserve them as well.

3. When you have a party, invite everyone. Now, I'm guilty of accidentally leaving a person out, and I'm also throwing a party for Matthew, where I am only taking 5 friends bowling, so accept that I haven't figured out how to do this one yet, but, a couple of things I have figured out over the years: If someone invites you to a party, and you don't go, at least acknowledge the invitation. Also, if someone always invites you to their house, you should probably at least invite them once to yours, especially if everyone else they know will be attending. And finally, it's okay if you don't absolutely love everyone at your party. You know why? Making friends is good. Knowing people who are different than you is good. Learning how to be a good host or hostess is a good attribute. And here is my two-penny gospel wisdom: Even the good people you don't get along with might show up in heaven with you, and you'll have to learn to deal with them there, so why not try it here?

4. When you feel like you should call someone: pick up the phone and call. I am a classic procrastinator and fail constantly at this skill. I think and think and think about doing something, and maybe, finally get around to it. You know what? I think I could have more friends, or the friends that I have might feel more valued and loved, and know their true worth to me if I was more inclined to act.

5. When something pops into your head in what appears to be a shady situation--- say it! Many years ago, I learned on a bus in Italy that when the Holy Ghost prompts you to do something, you should do it! Like when he says "Hit that Guy!" you should hit them. They might turn out to be a PICK-Pocket! (true story) Or when someone is behaving wierdly and you think--" What the h-e- double hockey sticks are you doing person??", but you don't ask, because it's not polite, ASK ANYWAY. Your internal red alert is on for a reason. Trust it. Use it. Be Brave. If the person hates you for it, remember: they shouldn't be acting shady in the first place.

6. Don't think everyone's life is perfect. First of all, it's not. I look at some of my friends and think "Wow! they are amazing! how do they do it?" "They are so happy, why can't I be so happy?" "They are so in love, why aren't Jes and I like them?" And you know what? It is an exercise in pointlessness. Do you really want what they have? Um, let's see, for starters, loneliness, depression, family burdens, overbearing mother-in-laws, language barriers, financial loss, health problems, loss of faith, struggles with testimony... the list goes on. The fact is that whatever problems I have, are meant for me. They are tailor made for me, and I shouldn't begrudge joy to someone else because I don't have it in the same way as they do. I have highly individualized problems, and I'm guessing that you do too, and that is perfectly okay. Be thankful for what you have, because Satan is smarter than all of us.

Not anything earth shattering, I know, I just feel like my life, my friends, my experiences are so important to me, do i really take the time to think about them? Do I incorporate what I really know into my life? Do I act when I already know what to do?

6 comments:

GumbyandPokey said...

Great stuff! I'm glad you took the time to write it. I haven't been letting myself get to deep lately. I needed that.

Steph said...

Man, Melissa, this may not be "earth shattering" stuff for the rest of the world but, it sure made a difference in my life. Really. I've been struggling with a couple of these ideas for years and though I'm sure I will still struggle as I try to work things out in my mind I'm grateful for your insight and feel they have given me a starting point!

Alison B said...

I have to agree with Steph. I really really needed to hear a couple of these things, and be reminded of the simple things. Thank you for reminding me of these things. YOu are awesome.

liNdsEYloO said...

yes. well. honesty and truth has been spoken. you are an a plus plus sisterface.

Deanne said...

Thanks for the thoughts. Always good to hear and be reminded of. I appreciate your insights.

Unknown said...

Ahhh..whose daughter are you???? And what are you doing up at midnight posting these blogs??? Glad to see the pictures of the girls got taken and posted though. But you need to see something else on UTube...really,, grown men men in WHITE pants shaking their butts at the camera...do you need a date night with your husband? oh, wait, you had a date night!!ha ha
:)mum